If you haven’t noticed, Everything Bagel Seasoning is having a moment. It usually contains dried onion flakes, dried garlic flakes, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and salt. You can make your own, like with this easy recipe from my friend Jen at Savory Simple, or you can buy a premade seasoning blend like Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning Mix. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, you can even find it on Amazon here. My sister is obsessed with chicken breasts roasted with everything bagel seasoning. I love it on scrambled eggs in a wrap with avocado slices. But this smoked salmon chips recipe came to me when I was thinking about my absolute favorite bagel order: an everything bagel with cream cheese topped with lox. Why not combine those flavors in an appetizer instead? And, one that you can pull together in minutes.
How to Make Everything Bagel Smoked Salmon Chips
All you do is take a potato chip, top it with a schmear of cream cheese, a piece of smoked salmon, and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning. Those are literally the instructions. Hardly even merits a recipe card! But I’m including below because I want to get this recipe out to Everything Bagel Seasoning lovers everywhere. And I don't know about you, but I’m always looking for new appetizer ideas for smoked salmon.
I served these at a recent party where I was testing out some new recipes, and I couldn’t make these fast enough to keep up with my guests. Try it at your next gathering, and I guarantee they will be the talk of the party.
What to Serve with Everything Bagel Smoked Salmon Chips
This appetizer is perfect as part of a big spread of starters (for ideas, see my Cilantro-Lime Crab Salad, my Charred Tomatillo Guacamole, my Old Bay Shrimp, my Buffalo Cauliflower Dip with Fresh Herbs, my Red Radish Crostini with Lemon Ricotta, and my Sardines on Toast with Chickpea Salad), but also wonderful as a stand-alone. Invite a couple of friends over for cocktail hour, and serve them these crisps along with a glass of champagne, White Wine Sangria, or Blood Orange Margaritas. Easy, and so so elegant.
- Potato Chips: I like the kettle-cooked potato chips, because they have a great flavor, and are sturdy enough to support the toppings. Word of warning, you may want to get two bags to make sure you have enough decent-sized chips to use.
- Cream Cheese: This smoked salmon appetizer recipe calls for whipped cream cheese. I chose whipped, because it is softer and lighter than regular cream cheese, and so is easier to smear onto the chip without breaking it. You could also use crème fraiche or sour cream if you prefer.
- 32 potato chips
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 6 oz whipped cream cheese
- 5 t. everything bagel seasoning
- Cut salmon into roughly 1-2 inch pieces. You just want each piece to fit comfortably on a potato chip, so make sure you have the same number as the number of chips you are using.
- Take each chip and top with a schmear of whipped cream cheese, then a piece of salmon.
- Sprinkle each chip with a small amount of everything bagel seasoning.
- Serve immediately.
You can make your own version of everything bagel seasoning (look for recipes online), or buy Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning (you can even order from Amazon). Note that this appetizer can not handle refrigeration, as the potato chips will wilt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 695Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is provided as a general reference for users courtesy of the online nutrition calculator Nutritionix.